Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

BUTTERFLIES GALORE

Monarch Butterfly I just got a library book on how to raise, identify, and help butterflies! It is SO cool, and the author obviously loves these beautiful and delicate creatures, often referring to the caterpillars he raises as his "babies"! The book got me super exited about the possibilities of butterfly raising and/or breeding- maybe a little flock of the pretty fluttery things would look great in my nature-themed bedroom? (will have a hard time convincing mom about that one...) I have always, always, always wanted a pet(s), and after multiple schemes (all failed except for the one where we eventually got some tiny feederfish and a Betta) involving cats, guinea pigs, goats ( :) ), parakeets, and many, many, many more, I have figured out that if I want a pet at any point between now and when I move out, pretty well the only thing I just might be able to convince the parental units to get is chickens. But now this butterfly thingy is making me think... Since I get home schooled, maybe this could be a self-assigned biology project or something!! I guess whoever built this butterfly aviary got butterfly-raising permission from their mom so it must be possible:

Dome of the butterfly house

Guess what: even butterflies are on the Endangered list. :( Let's help raise awareness and SAVE THE BUTTERFLIES! They're probably becoming endangered because of people destroying their native plants&habitats. See which butterflies need the most help at :http://www.prairiefrontier.com/pages/butterflies/endangered.html
On a brighter note, go to http://www.thebutterflysite.com/facts.shtml to learn fun facts about butterflies.Or just copy-and-paste some animated butterflies (from http://www.free-nature-animal-butterfly-wallpaper.com/animated-butterfly.html ) into an email or onto your blog to brighten someone's day. I am so glad that that butterfly book exists- it helped me really open the door to butterflies; we see butterfly motifs so often that they're more an emblem in our minds than amazing creatures!





No comments:

Post a Comment