Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

recent creative projects

Spring... finally. I've been doing lots and lots of cool crafts this month,including:

+ Storybird- an online book-making site.you choose an illustrator, then use their uploaded art to make a book.then you can buy it as an Ebook for iPad, iPhone,and more,or as a soft- or hard-cover book.check my most recent one out now for free online at http://storybird.com/books/the-girl-encyclopedia-how-not-to-get-bored/?token=6pnxsh . Or start your own at http://storybird.com/.




+Tye-dyeing Kleenex.With a kids watercolor paint set.
All I had to do was place one tissue on top of another, then pour lots of water on to the paint set, and dip a twisted-up area of the layered Kleenexes into the paint. then I did that more times till the whole thing was colorful. Pictures 1 and 4 (starting at the top and going clockwise) are made with the same method,but after being dyed were crumpled, squeezed, unfurled,re-dyed, and crumpled,squeezed and unfurled again, like the new wings of an emerging butterfly.




+Sewing and embroidery.
feast your eyes on these adorable little felt foods:
Fried Egg
Cherries

Blueberry
 They were quite frustrating at times but I'm so happy with the end result!Sewing is something I'd love to get better at someday, and making my own designs is so fun!

+ Card Making
I made a very fancy Easter card for my grandparents (who set up a wonderful, challenging and very fun egg hunt and cooked up a delicious Easter dinner) complete with a Manga-style bunny girl with card stock ears sticking out the top of the card, a drawn Easter basket containing two tiny envelopes containing "Happy Easter" messages and slits in witch to insert little double-sided paper eggs.I had so much fun making it and put a lot of effort into it... but then left it out in the sun room, and it got wet.The colors bled- it was all marker except the Bunny-Girl on the front that I was so proud of (good thing that was done in colored pencils) it was still okay- looking, but still disappointing...



+ Gymnastics
I also have made up a nice gymnastics routine to "Take You to Rio" (http://youtu.be/-z3_BKIUEow). I had just watched the movie Rio so was excited about that at the time. I might add that video as a YouTube gadget on the blog, cause I really like it. While we were up at Apex at a friend's cabin, Ella, Vanessa, Cassandra, and I made a 4-person routine to another song from that movie, "Hot Wings"(http://youtu.be/Iuy5YsZGK3c. ) I'm really proud of myself for LEARNING A FRONT WALKOVER!!!!!! Okay, I'm not that good yet but once in a while they're pretty nice..

5 comments:

  1. Cute!! love the cherries!!=] i also relly like the bottom kleenex tie die thingy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivy, I LOVE your storybird book!! I'd love to learn more about how you made that. It's beautiful and your ideas are creative and kind and inspiring!

    Love all your crafts too, and completely enjoyed looking at my Easter card today and the watermarks didn't bother me at all. They look pretty much like part of the design, since I didn't see the card before it got wet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool stuff, Ivy. That Storybird site is amazing -- I wish we would have thought of building that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- it's a pretty cool program! Kinda like Blurb but more visually-oriented and also more focused on making the book than ordering it and getting it printed, cause Storybird's really a bookmaking site that also has basic book-buying and printing, while Blurb is really a book printing site that also has basic book-making software...

      Delete
  4. Hi Ivy, Had not picked up on this entry till now (have not spent much time on the computer). You have so many creative ideas, especially in your online book. You are a girl who will likely not get bored easily. I had never heard of tye dyeing kleenex but your product looks great. I have been learning about making friendship bracelets by knotting embroidery threads into different designs. It's also a fun craft to do.

    ReplyDelete