Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

CUTE CAAAKE!

My friend Hannah's mom works in a cake/cookie/cupcake decorating shop, phat cat cakes .What does this have to do with my semiweekly blog update? Everything...  Hannah and I are making an undersea-themed
cake for the
...witch is a contest that the shop is putting on. Want a sneak peek at some of the COMPLETELY EDIBLE and COMPLETELY CUTE fondant critters we're making? look no further than this post, and maybe a new section of this blog called PIC OF THE WEEK I'm planning soon (it'll include my fave picture I've taken this week as well as my fave picture some one's sent in).
my little purple octopus. it was soooooo hard to smooth her head on...

a mama starfish with her baby- these are made of 2 star cutouts stuck together with scrap fondant in between

I LOVE this little guy! I never would have thought a sea urchin could be this cute...but Hannah did, and it looks great! 

my Manta Ray. or maybe it's a Sting Ray. Naomi had the awesome idea of using two different-sized eyes for this super easy-to-make critter.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... this most comical attempt at a puffer fish was made by me.

this clam that Hannah made looks great even without it's "pearl"- the pearl will be one of those big silver ball candies.

the blue mermaid on the left is mine, the green one's Hannah's. we thought it would be cute to make little mermaid versions of ourselves and they turned out quite well as you can see! The hair was the most frustrating part for me, and my favorite is their tiny little belly buttons!

some corals we made for fillers.


some little fillers including some tiny fish, baby starfish,(or are they sea flowers?) a shell, and seaweed in varying shades of green.

these sea turtles will look even cuter once they are assembled.
I was frustrated often with almost every cake topper- but i feel very proud about the result! Overall, I'm loving the process, having a project, seeing our sketches and ideas become real, and learning to accept and get excited about new ideas.

Thank you so much to Naomi for letting us use her fancy fondant,edible glitter dust, and cake bases. Our cake would look so much sloppier without her professional,warm,essential mentoring and advice. Also thank you to Hannah for being a great friend and project partner.

1 comment:

  1. So creative, Ivy -- I love how you two stuck with that project from beginning to end, working together in style.

    ReplyDelete